[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

Paul James Adams paul.adams at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 08:40:20 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 16 Mar 2010 08:06:22 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> but saying "importing into KMail" would be plain wrong now.

Technically, yes.

But think about this from the perspective of the user. All they see is
KMail/Kontact. And why should they see/comprehend anything else? The average
user treats their experience like a monolith; they don't know/care that the
experience is actually delivered by a multitude of components with crazy names
like "Akonadi". All they /think/ they are experiencing is the GUI in front of
them.

What we should be doing when referring to Akonadi to users is to talk about it
in terms of the utility it brings; referring to it by name is confusing at
worst (I think we all agree on that) and vapid at best.

So how about referring to it as "KMail's mail synchronisation component" or
some shizzle like that? Yes, this is wrong, but it is close /enough/ to the
truth and it is something that users can understand.

In that respect, I have no problem with things like "importing into KMail".
Whilst technically incorrect, it is meaningful to the user and not exactly a
lie.

--
Paul J. Adams
KDE Research - KDE e.V.