[Kde-pim] [RFC] removing unnecessary resources

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 08:40:33 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 23:32:04 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Tuesday 16 March 2010 19:51 schreef u:
> > On Tuesday 16 Mar 2010 18:50:46 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > >   microblog // is it still in a usable state? looks ok code wise
> >
> > Rather than ditch this, I would rather liaise with the Choqok (and other)
> > folk and get them to actually make use of it.
> >
> > I assume at the moment that they don't.
>
> After initial enthousiasm, they have no interest in it. And I (as author)
> have no interest in it either anymore. So, we can ditch it without anyone
> starting to cry.

You don't know that. We've been shipping it as part of the Akonadi dataengine, so
maybe there are applets out there using it. Or maybe not, but we don't know.

I think we shouldn't just ditch a piece of code that is potentially useful and the
right direction technically. (I'm assuming here that storing microblog information
close to PIM data and being able to cache it transparently is valuable.

On the other hand, the microblogging resource is at least the third piece of code
implementing the identi.ca / twitter API (the others are choqok and the
microblogging
plasmoid). As Paul says, eventually, both of them should be using akonadi (and
thus
the microblogging resource).
--
sebas