[Kde-pim] Distribution List work-around?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Mar 4 12:07:28 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 20:07:02 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I had a distribution list called Userbase_Issues.  In my new
> > addressbook there is an entry called Userbase_Issues.  Is it
> > possible to identify that entry in ~/.local/share/contacts and just
> > paste in the list of identifiers from the old distlist?  For me it's
> > not a big issue, but a forum member needs to recover his list of
> > 200+ club members.
>
> If this forum member has access to a pre-4.4 version of KAddressBook
> then exporting all members of the distlist to a separate address book
> and then adding this address book as new address book to KAddressBook
> 4.4 might be an acceptable workaround. In order to send a message to
> this distlist he could then simply select all contacts from this address
> book.
>
> An obvious downside is the duplication of the contacts which can quickly
> lead to inconsistencies.

I tried to experiment with this, but the only system I have with an earlier
version is a CentOS system, so it's *much* earlier, 3.5.3.  There I could find
a number of export options, but I couldn't see any way to export a
distribution list. Of course it's easier if categories have been set, so that
exporting from a filter can be used, but if the distribution list is all
that's been relied on, it looks difficult if not impossible.  However, the
storage of distribution lists as changed from the distlists file to included
in the addressbook and back again, by the look of it, so maybe an earlier 4.x
would be quite different.

Since I don't have any possibility of doing this myself, if anyone can give me
specific steps that will work for the user, I'd be very grateful.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group