[Kde-pim] Observations regarding pim applications and slow-down

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Mar 3 11:33:34 GMT 2010

I've been trying to find the cause of the much-reported gradual bogging down
of kontact, by running applications stand-alone with System Activity monitor
open.

I have run kmail alone for a period of approximate 8 hours and seen no slow-
down whatsoever.

With kmail minimised and akregator open there is a huge jump in CPU activity.
System Activity monitor tells me that X is using huge amounts, even where
there is no obvious need for it to be re-painting the screen.  I have seen it
touch 79%.  The system is slow throughout in this condition.  Screen display
lags way behind my typing, for instance.

On closing akregator I see the process disappear, and after about half a
minute X does drop back a bit - but not as far as you'd expect.  At this
moment, some 10 minutes after closing adkregator it is running between 45-65%
CPU and my system is still sluggish.  It will take a logout to clear it.

I don't know how much akregator could be causing a similar problem when
everything is launched in Kontact, but clearly this is one possible clue to
the problem.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group