[Kde-pim] Observations regarding pim applications and slow-down

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Mar 3 20:51:28 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I've been trying to find the cause of the much-reported gradual
> bogging down of kontact, by running applications stand-alone with
> System Activity monitor open.
>
> I have run kmail alone for a period of approximate 8 hours and seen
> no slow- down whatsoever.
>
> With kmail minimised and akregator open there is a huge jump in CPU
> activity. System Activity monitor tells me that X is using huge
> amounts, even where there is no obvious need for it to be
> re-painting the screen.  I have seen it touch 79%.  The system is
> slow throughout in this condition.  Screen display lags way behind
> my typing, for instance.
>
> On closing akregator I see the process disappear, and after about
> half a minute X does drop back a bit - but not as far as you'd
> expect.  At this moment, some 10 minutes after closing adkregator it
> is running between 45-65% CPU and my system is still sluggish.  It
> will take a logout to clear it.
>
> I don't know how much akregator could be causing a similar problem
> when everything is launched in Kontact, but clearly this is one
> possible clue to the problem.

After a couple of weeks of enduring painful slowness and almost constant
disk activity I have suspended file indexing (via the context menu of
the Search Service thingy in the task bar) for the last few days. Since
then my system has become very usable again. As I'm not using desktop
search at the moment, I'll probably disable the indexer completely for
the time being.

Regards,
Ingo