[Kde-pim] Observations regarding pim applications and slow-down

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 4 23:05:29 GMT 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010, Will Stephenson wrote:

> > > After a couple of weeks of enduring painful slowness and almost
> > > constant disk activity I have suspended file indexing (via the
> > > context menu of the Search Service thingy in the task bar) for
> > > the last few days. Since then my system has become very usable
> > > again. As I'm not using desktop search at the moment, I'll
> > > probably disable the indexer completely for the time being.
> >
> > I disabled the indexer about a week (?) ago, to solve the sending
> > delays, and it definitely did help KMail.  However, as I said,
> > whenever I have used akregator I start to get kmail problems
> > again.
>
> So is the indexer consuming all the nepomukserver's bandwidth (lots
> of full text data going in over dbus) and causing kmail contact
> searches to take a long time?

In my case the indexer appears to saturate I/O so that the whole system
feels like molasses, i.e. everything is slow. Even the mouse cursor lags
behind and often it even hangs for seconds. It is absolutely unbearable.
I have no idea what could cause this except for constant swapping. But I
have 2 GB. There should be no swapping. Or at least no constant
swapping. After suspending the indexer the problems go away.

Regards,
Ingo