[Kde-pim] [RFC] removing unnecessary resources

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Sun Mar 21 20:21:00 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 06:20:19PM +0100, Ingo Kl?cker wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 March 2010, Tobias Koenig wrote:

Hej Ingo,

> Will we ditch all traditional contact and calendar resources
> (KResources) as well? I guess, we can't do so because of KDE's backwards
> compatibility.
We can if we provide the Akonadi based alternatives.

> Apart from the already mentioned KDE contact resources (IMAP, LDAP) and
> the local ones (file, folder) there are at least the following resources
> at the moment:

> GroupDAV
Is ported to Akonadi and will be included in 4.5 (currently in kdereview)

> Network
Can be replaced with the Akonadi based calender file resource if this one
is extended to support different load/store URLs.

> OpenXchange
Can be replaced with the new Akonadi based resource that is already located
in kdepim/runtime

> SUSE LINUX Openexchange
The development of SLOX is discontinued since 2005, so we can safely drop this
resource IMHO. Most users have migrated to OX in the meantime for sure.

> Novell GroupWise
Well, this is the only one I don't know what to do with. Will, any plans?

> >   vcarddir // should be dropped in favour of 'contacts' resource
>
> What is the difference between those two resources anyway?
vcarddir was used as test resource only and can't store contact groups
which causes unnecessary confusion on user side.

Ciao,
Tobias