[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 10:48:16 GMT 2010

On 21 Mar 2010, at 18:38, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Maybe it's an age thing ;-) - I'd never heard of PIM until - 1980s, was it? -
> everyone started having a Filofax.  Suddenly everyone needed a PIM.

It probably is an age thing. I'd never heard of PIM either until working with KDEPIM. I think most people just think of PIM in terms of mail, calendar and contacts or *shudder* Outlook *shudder.

I don't think having Googleable terms is necessary a great thing, surely it's better so people can understand without having to do so?

Also, I remember reading a usability study recently where they said most novice users don't read error messages or dialog popups at all so I'm not sure even the most friendly error message in the world will help a novice work out what to do. The error message audience, in my opinion, should be the people who will fix the issues for novice users or the technical users who try and fix their own problems.

Mike Arthur
http://mikearthur.co.uk