[Kde-pim] IMAP/Pop3 Config UIs

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 22:44:35 BST 2010

On Monday 29 March 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 29 March 2010 21:50:18 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 March 2010, Casey Link wrote:
> > > I've taken the comments into consideration, and tried to improve
> > > the mockups.
> >
> > Will people understand what the progress bar means? Actually, I'm
> > not even sure what this progress bar is supposed to indicate. Is
> > it the quota?
>
> The progress bar appears only when the "auto detect" button is
> clicked, and disappears after the check again, so no problem there.

Okay. That was my second guess. :-)

> > The more I think about it, I don't think we should deviate too much
> > from the current IMAP account settings dialog.
> >
> > The changes on the General tab are mostly okay, but the proposal
> > for setting the mail check interval is a no-go because it is not
> > localizable. In some localizations the spin box will have to be in
> > the middle of the text or even on the left of the text.
>
> Right, it needs to be reworded to be translatable, or put the spinbox
> into a new row with its own label.

Yeah. Like it is now.

> > I don't like the choice of encryption settings. Does SSL with
> > STARTTLS make sense? Does TLS without STARTTLS make any sense?
>
> SSL with STARTTLS does not make any sense at all, and the other way
> around it also doesn't make sense. As I said in an earlier mail,
> this is because of the confusion over the SSL and TLS terms. There
> is no SSL really, only "TLS from the beginning" and "TLS after
> issuing the STARTTLS command".
>
> I think KTCPSocket still supports SSL, but there is no way to
> influence that from the outside (and there shouldn't be, as the
> SSL/TLS version is auto- detected by KTCPSocket).

Well, the choice between SSL and TLS really is a way for the user to
choose the correct port. IMHO, it's either to choose between SSL and TLS
than it is to choose between port 143 and port 993. (Of course, the real
difference is that port 993 means "SSL/TLS from the beginning" while
port 143 means "TLS after issuing the STARTTLS command".)

I don't know. The user really shouldn't need to worry about this. In
fact, I'd prefer KMail to use a secure connection whenever possible. The
user should not be given the choice to use an insecure connection.
Security should never be optional, but the default.

Regards,
Ingo