[Kde-pim] jargon is bad! :)

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 09:22:06 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 08:06:22 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Sometimes, using the term "Akonadi" can not entirely be avoided, and I'm
> unsure what to do about it. For example, when KMail can not work because
> Akonadi is not running, we have to tell the user in some way, like "The
> Akonadi PIM framework is not running, bla bla.".
> Another example: The mail import tool (still wrongly called KMailCVT) can
> import mails into Akonadi, the mails can not just be used by KMail, but
> also  by other applications. Currently the introduction page there says
> "This program will help you import your email [..] into Akonadi". Any
> suggestion how to improve that? I'm quite sure normal users don't know
> what "importing into Akonadi" means, but saying "importing into KMail"
> would be plain wrong now.

While I agree with the principle of avoiding jargon as far as possible when
addressing users. it's possible to become paranoid about it.  For instance, I
spoke somewhere of PIM - and a developer attacked it's use - saying that it
was not as universally understood as I thought.  Where do you stop?  We just
do our best and hope.  Having said that, while I understand the thinking
behind the re-branding effort, it has not been well received by users.  No
amount of explanation makes it sensible in their eyes - at least, that's my
experience in user support.

Now to Akonadi and Nepomuk.  I don't see a problem in using a name for a
technology.  Where I do see a problem is that there is no easily understood
explanation for users as to how the technologies fit together to give the
results they want to see.  From the user point of view, why, when they see an
error message about Nepomuk, am I telling them to read a userbase page called
Akonadi?  I know it's not easy, but getting such explanations in place and
easily found is a high priority.  (And yes, I know that the pages that revolve
around Kontact and KMail need re-organising and probably re-writing as part of
the clarification process.)

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group