[Kde-pim] Kcal split into KCalCore

Álvaro Manera alvaro.manera at nokia.com
Thu Jun 17 13:41:47 BST 2010

Hi,

As we agreed in the meeting in Berlin about the split of KCal into KCalCore
having the:

* Incidence and subclasses.
* Ical/vcal parsing
* Recurrences
* TZ

Then outside of this library will be the loading, unloading etc. Which in KDE
is done or will be done with akonadi, and in MeeGo we extended the original
KCal to the extendedkcal.

This was the high level description, but now lets go into the "details".

Continuing from that idea the Calendar class and subclasses, and CalStorage
and subclasses should be out of KCalCore.

But the Calendar class is used for several things that should be in KCalCore.
Eg:

icalformat.
The calendar is used for loading and exporting, calendar to iCal (the same
applies to vcal). (CalFormat takes a Calendar as argument).
Also it is needed to export correctly all the TZ that are currently loaded
into a Calendar.

The solution I am proposing, and which I have started to work on is:

Having Calendar class as abstract in KCalCore, we can visit this class and try
to simplify as much as possible and subclasses can extend.

I have created also a class MemoryCalendar which is an implementation of that
abstract class, (taken from CalendarLocal) but simpler that doesn't save,
export, save or anything. Just for temporary checks.

That's my starting point, but I would like to hear from your point of view,
what needs to be there, and what is part of akonadi.

Also I would like to remove all the deps to IncidenceFormatter, localizations,
messagebox, etc.

Alvaro