[Kde-pim] migrating from KMail1 to KMail2 (and back?)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 17 14:41:00 BST 2010

On Thursday, 2010-06-17, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [readding opensuse-kde list in CC:]
>
> On Thursday 17 June 2010 13:52:29 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > Alright, I understood that (roughly) from your other emails on this
> > > subject. What is the default here?
> >
> > This is a question message box with two options, delete old cache being
> > the  active/default button, ESC triggering "keep".
> > I could add another config option to not ask but always keep though.
>
> Is this per folder? (I have 60 folders, and I'm sure some of the audience
> here has even more. That might result in an exercise in RSI if I have to
> check something for every migrated folder (and I can't make up valid
> enough use- cases where you'd want to keep parts of your cache only).

This is once per run of kmail-migrator and only if that run is about to
encounter an unmigrated Disconnected IMAP account.

So it will:
- at most show once, independent of number of DIMAP accounts
- not show if there is none
- not show if all have been migrated already

> The thing that most users want is probably "keep old data around for some
> time until I know kmail2 works for me". That's essentially "keep old
> data", but with an option to clean up later. Not sure how to implement
> that cleanly (maybe as something that runs when we ship 12.0, though.)

It does do that already.
All cached messages that are not imported successfully, either because they
are kept explicitly or no imoprt is configured or their import failed (e.g.
server not reachable during migration), will be accessible as a local maildir
resource, with a name like "Local Copies of $accountname".

Or maybe easier to understand: all cached mail that is not deleted, ends up in
a maildir resource which gets configured to work on the DIMAP directory of
KMail 1.

> > > Is this reported by KMail then, or what will happen?
> >
> > AFAIK, KMail will check the timestamp before it attemps loading. If the
> > index  is to old it is ignored and rebuilt.
>
> Sounds perfectly robust, as no user intervention is needed. Cool :-)

Right.
Some index data cannot be recovered, however. Things like special flags (e.g.
important), tags and such.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring