[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.5 branch now available

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jun 29 19:18:43 BST 2010

On Tuesday 29 June 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the 4.5 branch of kdepim is now created.
> That means:
> - trunk is open for all commits again
> - all bugfixes should be backported to the 4.5 branch, as that will
>   be our first public release! More details in Allen's mail.

I question this approach. I think that it is much better to forwardport
fixes from a branch to trunk than the other way around. trunk often
quickly gets new features, methods, classes, etc., which makes
backporting (without introducing regressions) hard or impossible. Also,
I doubt that backports are thoroughly tested if a (spare-time) developer
works on and uses trunk all the time.

Obviously fixing bugs on the 4.5 branch guarantees that the fixes will
be in our first public release of KDE PIM 4.5. As such, I see no reason
for anybody doing bugfixing to work on trunk until KDE PIM 4.5 has been
released.

Regards,
Ingo