[Kde-pim] KMail DIMAP Cache Migration Fallback

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jun 1 19:16:35 BST 2010

On Monday, 2010-05-31, Till Adam wrote:
> On Monday 31 May 2010 16:17:49 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > Makes sense to me, maybe this could be an option in the migration
> > > process? To help people clean up?
> >
> > You mean something like
> >
> > "Keep cache as local folders"
> > "Remove cache after migration"
>
> Yes, and always keep it on failures, as local folders.

Took way longer than I had anticipated but it's done now.

The migrator checks whether this run will encounter an unmigrated DIMAP
account (in order not to bother the user if that run doesn't).
If it will be attempting a DIMAP migration, it asks whether to remove old
copies or whether to keep them in any case.

I used the term "copies" to make it more understandable that this is about
things that are on the server anyway.
Message and question can still be improved, of course.

If deletion is enabled, it works on a per-item basis during migration: if an
item is successfully added to Akonadi, it is then deleted from the store
working on the cache directory.

After DIMAP migration, a local cache importer takes whatever is left and
"adds" it to a maildir resource working on the account's DIMAP cache
subdirectory.

There is still a bit of ugliness though: in case migration has worked without
problems and deletion had been activated, there will still be a local maildir
resource with all folders empty.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring