[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Dr. Robert Marmorstein robert at narnia.homeunix.com
Tue Jun 1 17:20:44 BST 2010

> doesn't sound like a good solution. (And if you use POP3, and you don't
> want KMail to delete your emails from the server -- tell it not to.) It

On my ISP, the "keep on server" option is disabled server-side.  I know that
sounds weird, but when a message is downloaded using POP3, it is automatically
deleted by the server.  This is a server-side option, not configurable by me.
I think the ISP is trying to save resources at my expense.

It's possible to work around this by using fetchmail to pull all your mail
someplace else that provides IMAP access to it.  But setting up a mail server,
fetchmail system, and the necessary firewall settings to access it is beyond
most users.

I know this sounds like a really obscure situation, but I suspect a lot of our
users and potential users are stuck behind outdated ISPs that enforce really
stupid policies like this.  Perhaps it would be useful to take a poll and see
how many people still have/use POP3 accounts.

I agree with you that it is a good design to separate mail fetch/notification
from the kmail application.  But there is no reason that couldn't be done in
such a way that kmail (or any other application) could send a DBUS message
that terminates the mail/fetch stuff that is running in the background.  That
DBUS message could be attached to a GUI button that says, "Go Offline" or a
checkbox setting for "Check for mail in the background".

Robert