[Kde-pim] Review Request: Migrate KMail's "Include in manual mail checks"

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jun 9 00:17:38 BST 2010

On Tuesday, 2010-06-08, Casey Link wrote:
> > The patch adds the checkbox below the resource list on the receiving
> > accounts tab, changing it according to selection. Defaulting to
> > true/checked in case there is no setting for a resource yet.
>
> I think this is an important feature, but usability wise it needs some
> work. There is no visible relation between the location of the checkboxes
> and the items they are modifying.  Elements that are closer together are
> perceived as being more related. Also it is confusing to re-use the same
> toggle elements for different resources.
>
> This is a textbook usability problem, but is easily solved. Why not use an
> item delegate to draw these per-resource options alongside the resource in
> the view? (see attached screenshot, it assumes "check mail on startup" is
> a per- resource opt too)

Right, I thought about that as well.
But I am neither an expert on models not delegates so this was easier to
implement for the first take.

I guess one needs a proxy model that add the options' data as additional roles
and/or columns?
Or can the delegate just access arbitrary additional data, in the sense of
this not being a hack?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring