[Kde-pim] possibility to launch applications over ssh broken?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jul 24 12:20:38 BST 2010

On Saturday, 2010-07-24, thorsten at staerk.de wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> starting ktimetracker via ssh no longer works for me. It says
> ktimetracker(10074): Session bus not found

That sounds like there is no D-Bus session bus running for the remote session.

You can start one for the single application in question by starting the app
like this:

dbus-launch ktimetracker

Often I'd like to have the option of using multple SSH connections in parallel
so I create a session environment file when logging in with the first one

echo $DISPLAY > sessionenv
dbus-launch >> sessionenv

Then this file can be sourced in any SSH session. Conveniently this also means
that none of the additional SSH connects needs to have X fowarding enabled,
since application started through them will be forwarded through the first
connection as well.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring