[Kde-pim] Q: virtual / unread email collections; flags; drop data

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jul 20 12:21:26 BST 2010

Hey PIMsters,

<summary>
- How do I create virtual folders based on a SPARQL query?
- How would a SPARQL query showing unread emails look like?
- Which are the canonical flags to be used for read and important?
- How is the drag+drop data in kmail's items structured?
</summary>

I've done some Lion Mail hacking during the past days, and am now at a point
where things start working again -- in principle -- through the use of the
EntityTreeModel. That seems to work quite well, cool. :) (Code is in
playground/base/applets/lionmail.)

Now I need to touch new ground. I can show a collection, get change
notifications and all that, but it's still just a normal collection. What I'd
like (need), is:

- a collection showing unread emails in the inbox (easiest case)
- a collection showing unread emails from folder A, B, C (poweruser case)
- a collection showing emails marked as important

My guess would be that I need a suitable SPARQL query to setup the 'virtual
collection', and a sortproxymodel to massage it into an ordered list I can
work with. I know next to nothing about SPARQL (but some SQL), so if someone
had an example I could modify, that would be most helpful. An example how I'd
setup a virtual folder based on a SPARQL query would be very useful as well.

Something else I'm rather confused about are flags. The ones I find in my
Akonadi-collected emails are "\SEEN", "\Seen", "important", "\FLAGGED". Which
ones are the right ones to use? Or should I go hunt for Nepomuk tags of
emails?

Then, drag & drop. What I'm doing right now is put a URL list into the drop
data, but that doesn't seem to be accepted as valid drop data by KMail. What's
the right way to go about this? I can sift through the kmail code base, but if
anyone here knows off-hand, that would save me some time I'd rather spend at
the swimming pool. :-)

Thanks for the hints (so far, and the coming up ones :)).

sebas