[Kde-pim] 4.5 and porting commits / development model

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Jul 6 23:54:38 BST 2010

Hi,

as I said in a mail earlier, please use the 4.5 branch of kdepim as your main
development branch where you do bugfixing to make kdepim ready for a release.
Only use trunk as your main development branch when you must, for example when
merging from e35 or the komo branch, or when working on mobile stuff.

That means usually commits will be forwardported from 4.5 to trunk, and not
backported from trunk to 4.5. Bugfixes should go to the 4.5 branch first if
possible.

Disregard the stuff about svnmerge.py in my mail named "Re: KDEPIM 4.5 branch
now available" please.

Forwardporting from 4.5 to trunk
================================

We do not want to lose any commits in the 4.5 branch, we have to remember to
forward port them. Since we need all commits from there merged to trunk, we
decided to use svnmerge.py for that. svnmerge.py can keep track of the commits
that still need to be forward ported, which is done by maintaining a list of
already merged revisions, which are stored in the SVN properties.

You need a checkout of both the 4.5 branch and of trunk.
To forwardport a commit, simply do the following in your kdepim source dir in
trunk:
  svn up
  svnmerge.py -S 4.5 -r<revision>
  (compile, install & test)
  svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

Find more information on svnmerge.py at
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tools/svnmerge.py.

Backporting from trunk to 4.5
=============================

Sometimes, it can not be avoided that a bugfix is made in trunk first.
Examples might be merges from the e35 branch to trunk. In this case, the
commit needs to be manually backported from trunk to 4.5. Note that this
should be an exception!
The backports need to be done manually, for example with "svn merge".
After a commit has been backported, it needs to be recoreded in the merge
information that there is no forward port needed anymore.
To record that merge information, do the following in your kdepim trunk source
dir:
  svn up
  svnmerge.py -M -S 4.5 -r<revision_of_backport>
  svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

svnmerge.py is not yet set up, I'll do that tomorrow, I really need to get
some sleep now. Tomorrow I'll also remove svnmerge.py merge information in the
trunk -> 4.5 direction as that will not be used anymore.

As usual, please ask me if anything needs clarification.

And a last thing: I encourage everyone to eat our own dogfood and try to use
the 4.5 branch as our production PIM system!

Regards,
Thomas