[Kde-pim] OpenSync and KDE PIM

Bjoern Ricks bjoern.ricks at intevation.de
Fri Jan 15 10:00:10 GMT 2010

Hi,

because I read a lot of rumors about OpenSync API breakage that is not true I
want to clarify this topic on the kde-pim list. As I depicted in the OpenSync
release notes of version 0.39 http://opensync.org/wiki/opensync-0.39-notes
the API of OpenSync is stable and is usable for applications and plugins. To
strengthen this statement you can finde a comparision of 0.39 and trunk at
http://people.b1-systems.de/~gollub/OpenSync/abi_compat_report.html

I know that OpenSync broke the API several times in the past and that all
people are waiting for a new stable release (0.40) but don't blame us for
that. We are only a few devlopers working at a devlopment branch (that the
current developers didn't started) in our rare free time. It is not fair to
read wrong statements about OpenSync without looking at the source or asking
on the lists and always to tell "opensync is bad". If you are not satisfied
with the development please feel free to contribute! It's open source. Many
of the kde-pim developers have already a svn account for OpenSync.

Btw. I wrote a short comparision between OpenSync and SyncEvolution which you
can find at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.opensync.devel/4168

best regards
Bjoern
--