[Kde-pim] knode features and RFE's?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 9 12:36:04 GMT 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 January 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> So I am looking (yet again) to see if kdepim is at a point that I
> >> can switch to it from Thunderbird, but I'm still missing several
> >> "must have" features from knode:
> >>
> >> - side by side view
> >> - colors that aren't broken
> >> - tags
> >
> > Apart from the missing UI this will automatically happen when/if
> > KNode is ported to Akonadi/Nepomuk.
>
> I assume you mean "tags", not "all of the above". Hmm, but are those
> tags in the sense of "I want this item to display differently in the
> list" (different text color, especially), i.e. how TB uses "tags", or
>  as in search aids? Nepomuk makes me think the latter, which I really
>  don't care about, but maybe that includes the former also?

Yes, the latter. The color is more an issue of the view, but I guess
certain colors could be assigned to certain tags.

> >> - automatic tagging via filters¹
> >
> > This is already present in KMail and it will be provided by
> > Akonadi/Nepomuk. So, again, you just have to port KNode to Akonadi.
> > ;-)
>
> Okay. Or... port NNTP to KMail methinks (see below).

There is already an NNTP Akonadi resource. I'm not sure about it's
current status. So getting the news to be shown in KMail will be very
easy. The problem is the newsgroup-specific workflows/functionality that
is missing in KMail.

> >> (¹ For example, I have TB tag all my own messages 'personal' so
> >> they are a different color in the message list. I have other such
> >> filters, but so far they are all based on sender address. I also
> >> apply tags manually.)
> >
> > Note that our master plan still includes merging of KMail and KNode
> > (at least code-wise) resp. making both use the same code as much as
> > possible.
>
> That sounds like a good idea.
>
> > Also note, that KNode currently has 0 developers AFAIK. Also, I
> > guess Volker would be happy if you took over maintainership of
> > KNode. ;-) Volker will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Oy, that's not so great. I don't think I'd make a very good
>  maintainer, I don't get done half the things I should be, already,
>  and taking over something the size of knode with an unfamiliar-to-me
>  codebase doesn't seem a good idea.

I think I wasn't really right about KNode having 0 developers. Olivier
Trichet does some work on KNode. In fact, Volker handed over
maintainership to him a few month ago.

>  Probably better to just implement
>  NNTP as an account type into kmail. I /might/ be able to help with
>  that, but...
>
> If you or someone can give me an idea what would be involved in
>  that...?

See above. Getting news to be shown in KMail 2 (i.e. in the Akonadi port
of KMail which will very soon be merged to trunk) shouldn't be a big
problem thanks to Akonadi. You might want to talk with Olivier to see
whether he has any plans w.r.t. KNode and Akonadi.

Regards,
Ingo