[Kde-pim] Planning the 4.5 development cycle

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 16:21:50 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Monday 11 January 2010 16:44:06 Markus wrote:
> Can you tell if there was any talk regarding an UI overhaul for KMail?

We didn't really discuss the KMail UI. We talked about Kontact UI in general,
briefly, but mainly about future ideas like person or project-centric views,
or a summary that uses Plasma.
Actually we also talked about the config dialog of Kontact, which right now
just lists the config modules of all sub components, which is not very usable.
Some settings, like mail transports, are even duplicated there, and also
possibly things like account or identity settings, and more.

> KDE Usability is currently pitching a few ideas back an forth, but
> especially the config window was identified as major task.
> Anne Wilson suggested that KMail 2.0 would be the perfect time to overhaul
> the GUI, especially as a big version leap makes it easier to sell such a
> GUI change to the users compared to a major change in a minor revision.

Yes, KMail 2 is definitely the perfect time for an UI overhaul of some parts.
Especially if the usability team is involved that usually means good results.

So this is a great task for anybody willing to help with KMail: Get the ideas
from the usability team and implement them in KMail, especially for the config
dialog.

Regards,
Thomas