[Kde-pim] How to debug the kio_pop3 or other process started from kdeinit4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jan 30 17:25:43 GMT 2010

On Saturday, 2010-01-30, Guy Maurel wrote:
> On Friday 29 January 2010 18:09:10 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On January 29, 2010, Guy Maurel wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I'm looking for help:
> > > I try to debug kio_pop3, such a process which is started from kdeinit4.
> > > I'm using "eclipse" and "gdb", can attached the process, set some
> > > breakpoints, but the process doesn't stop there.
> > > What is wrong? Can anybody help me? Does an HowTo exists?
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_IOSlave
>
> this is fine. Thanks for helping.
>
> BUT:
> I don't anderstand the unix-command:
>   KDE_SLAVE_DEBUG_WAIT=http kdeinit4
>
> The first part is a string, the second is a string to which I know a
>  process is running. What happens in the shell I'm using?

Basically this is a short form of this:

export KDE_SLAVE_DEBUG_WAIT=http
kdeinit4

Setting an environment variable to a certain value and then starting a program
in that environment.

An "export" changes the environment for all calls afterwards, so sometimes it
is better to just change it for one specific call by putting the variable and
its value before the command.
(From the point of view of the program, in this case kdeinit4 this is
equivalent)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring