[Kde-pim] Git and the needs of KDE PIM

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Sat Jan 16 17:50:17 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 14 January 2010 09:59:22 Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 19:54 +0000, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > The "blocked" commits issue poses bigger problems I think. My knowledge
> > of the internals of git is not strong, but I don't think it would be
> > possible to identify commits to keep only in one branch and not merge
> > with the rest.
>
> What you could do is a "git merge --no-commit". Then look at all changes
> that would be committed and revert those that are not wanted in the
> branch that is getting merged into. Commit. The next "git merge" will
> only merge changes made since the last merge, so this manual selection
> only needs to be done once per patch.

That sounds like something that could work.
When I revert those unwanted commits, they will not get re-merged with the
next "git merge", right?

One potential problem is that by using this approach, you merge all commits at
once. This doesn't fit nicely in our workflow, we need to merge each commit by
itself. The reason for that is that we have some commits that come from the
ancient enterprise35 branch, which is still KDE3-based, so we need to port
each commit to KDE 4 and also port it to Akonadi now.
That involves fixing a lot of conflicts and also testing things a lot, and
therefore can only be done sanely on individual commits, and not on a merge of
dozens of commits.

Regards,
Thomas