[Kde-pim] Answering questions about akonadi etc - need clarification

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Feb 17 15:37:17 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 15:24:52 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:52:21AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Hej Anne,

Hi, Tobias.  Thanks for this.  It should help a lot.  I'll be quoting it quite
often, I suspect ;-)

> ok, lets get the termonology right before we start having a look at the
> points below.
> With 'real data' we mean the data, like the contacts or events. These data
> are stored either on a groupware server or in local files. Where exactly
> depends on the resource you are using. E.g. the 'Personal Contacts'
> resource stores its data under $HOME/.local/share/contacts while the
> 'VCard File' resource (which is not recommended to use anyway ;)) stores
> its data under $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf.
>
> The 'cached data' are copies of the 'real data' that are kept in the
> database for faster access and offline caching. The database also keeps
> the 'meta data' which are management data needed by Akonadi to work
> correctly.
>
> The 'configuration data' are the data that configure the Akonadi server
> and the single resources. The configuration data for the server can be
> found under $HOME/.config/akonadi, the configuration for the resources are
> mostly stored under $HOME/.kde/share/config/akonadi_xyz_resourcerc# (xyz
> is name of resource and # its instance number).

That's clearer.  I think it might be as well for me to put these definitions
onto userbase.

> > Two days ago on #akonadi I asked about backing up.  Here is an excerpt:
> Here we have to decide what kind of data you actually want to backup
>
> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:03:16] <annew>	steveire_: for backup of
> > contacts - is ~/.local the only directory to back up now?
>
> So if you want to backup the 'real data', then it depends on the resources
> you have configured... if you use a groupware server, then the backup
> should be done there. For contacts the files under
> $HOME/.local/share/contacts shall do
>
> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:50:20] <toma>	annew: i wrote a backup
> > function for akonadi, it should be in the akonaditray
> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:50:31] <toma>	annew: but that's only the
> > cache you are backing up
>
> That are the 'cache data' Tom is talking about, might not include all of
> your data!

Hmm - in that case, I'm not clear as to its purpose, unless it's as a last-
ditch emergency cover.

> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:20] <toma>	annew: if you want a backup
> > of your contacts, you better backup the original
>
> original refers to the 'real data' here

Understood.

> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:29] <annew>	is that all we need?
> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:45] <annew>	I added a new contact and it
> > doesn't seem to be in the original addressbook
>
> What do you mean with 'original addressbook'? The std.vcf? or the directory
> under $HOME/.local/share/contacts?
> It always depends under which resource (resp. collection) you have stored
> the contact.

This is where I'd clearly misunderstood.  I thought that toma was saying that
~/.local/share/contacts was the cache, and std.vcf the real data, so I was
expecting the cache flush to put it there.

> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:52] <annew>	but it is in the .local one
>
> So you have stored it in 'Personal Contacts' which will store all its data
> there.
>
> > [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:53:22] <annew>	ok - so are the files under
> > .local the cached files?
>
> No, the cache is inside the database, under .local/ are the 'real data'
>
> > Today I realised that the situation has not changed.  In the kaddressbook
> > gui I can see the entry I made on Monday, but searching std.vcf within
> > kwrite doesn't find it,
>
> So you have saved it in 'Personal Contacts' and it should be stored under
> ~/.local now.
>
> > It tells me that I have 5 resources -
> >
> > Address Book - No KDE address book plugin configured yet.  This is the
> > one that (presumably erroneously) I pointed to ~/.local/share/contacts.
> > Modify starts up the wizard, which I haven't followed through, because
> > as I will explain, I don't know where it needs to point to.
>
> No, that's the old compatibility bridge (possible be created by the
> migrator tool). You should remove this one!

I'll do that.  But if my KDE Addressbook is not there, where is it?  Am I
causing problems by trying to have separate addressbooks?  Should I just be
using Groups or tagging to achieve this?

> > std.vcf - Ready
>
> This is the 'VCard File Resource' which points to
> $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf per default.
>
> > Personal Contacts - Offline

And should this be Offline?

> That's the preferred resource for your local contacts which points to
>   $HOME/.local/share/contacts

Nearly there ;-)  A lot clearer, but still those few questions.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group