[Kde-pim] Answering questions about akonadi etc - need clarification

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Wed Feb 17 15:24:52 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:52:21AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
Hej Anne,

ok, lets get the termonology right before we start having a look at the
points below.
With 'real data' we mean the data, like the contacts or events. These data
are stored either on a groupware server or in local files. Where exactly depends
on the resource you are using. E.g. the 'Personal Contacts' resource stores
its data under $HOME/.local/share/contacts while the 'VCard File' resource (which
is not recommended to use anyway ;)) stores its data under $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf.

The 'cached data' are copies of the 'real data' that are kept in the database for faster
access and offline caching. The database also keeps the 'meta data' which are
management data needed by Akonadi to work correctly.

The 'configuration data' are the data that configure the Akonadi server
and the single resources. The configuration data for the server can be found under
$HOME/.config/akonadi, the configuration for the resources are mostly stored
under $HOME/.kde/share/config/akonadi_xyz_resourcerc# (xyz is name of resource and # its instance number).

> Two days ago on #akonadi I asked about backing up.  Here is an excerpt:
Here we have to decide what kind of data you actually want to backup

> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:03:16] <annew>	steveire_: for backup of contacts
> - is ~/.local the only directory to back up now?
So if you want to backup the 'real data', then it depends on the resources you
have configured... if you use a groupware server, then the backup should be done
there. For contacts the files under $HOME/.local/share/contacts shall do

> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:50:20] <toma>	annew: i wrote a backup function
> for akonadi, it should be in the akonaditray
> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:50:31] <toma>	annew: but that's only the cache
> you are backing up
That are the 'cache data' Tom is talking about, might not include all of your data!

> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:20] <toma>	annew: if you want a backup of
> your contacts, you better backup the original
original refers to the 'real data' here

> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:29] <annew>	is that all we need?
> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:45] <annew>	I added a new contact and it
> doesn't seem to be in the original addressbook
What do you mean with 'original addressbook'? The std.vcf? or the directory
under $HOME/.local/share/contacts?
It always depends under which resource (resp. collection) you have stored
the contact.

> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:51:52] <annew>	but it is in the .local one
So you have stored it in 'Personal Contacts' which will store all its data
there.

> [Monday 15 February 2010] [19:53:22] <annew>	ok - so are the files under .local
> the cached files?
No, the cache is inside the database, under .local/ are the 'real data'

> Today I realised that the situation has not changed.  In the kaddressbook gui
> I can see the entry I made on Monday, but searching std.vcf within kwrite
> doesn't find it,
So you have saved it in 'Personal Contacts' and it should be stored under ~/.local now.

> It tells me that I have 5 resources -
>
> Address Book - No KDE address book plugin configured yet.  This is the one
> that (presumably erroneously) I pointed to ~/.local/share/contacts.  Modify
> starts up the wizard, which I haven't followed through, because as I will
> explain, I don't know where it needs to point to.
No, that's the old compatibility bridge (possible be created by the migrator tool).
You should remove this one!

> std.vcf - Ready
This is the 'VCard File Resource' which points to $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf
per default.

> Personal Contacts - Offline
That's the preferred resource for your local contacts which points to
  $HOME/.local/share/contacts

Ciao,
Tobias