[Kde-pim] Akonadi Conduits plugin

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 00:31:07 GMT 2010

Maurizio Pozzobon wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm Maurizio, I'm an Italian developer and I'm new here. I'm writing to
> let you know that I'm starting to work on a plug-in for conduit
> (http://live.gnome.org/Conduit) so that it can sync with akonadi
> resources. I'm thinking about using PyKDE to access Akonadi and I'll
> start implementing the module for syncing contacts, then I'll add the
> rest. Right now I'm still in and early design phase (no single line of
> code have been written) so if you have any suggestion on how to proceed
> or if you want to help me, this is the best time to do it.

Hi Maurizio,

Good timing with the email. There seems to be a few people interested in
syncing at the moment, whether with opensync, syncevolution and now with
conduit. As far as I understand, conduit is a sync framework right? If not,
could you explain what it is, because I don't know.

I know I already suggested using PyKDE for this stuff, but unfortunately,
after looking at those bindings, they are missing some important pieces. We
can talk to the kde-bindings people about adding the missing bits, but it
might not be trivial. I'll try to investigate what's missing and get an
email sent out tomorrow.

In the mean-time, you could probably get started with c++. It is not too
hard if you know some python, and the API and concept of what needs to
happen is the same anyway.

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Akonadi/Resources

You don't need to build KDE from scratch, but can just install development
headers for kdepimlibs from your distribution, and other things like cmake
and gcc to get started. Drop into #akonadi if you need any help getting a
development environment set up or if you want to try some experiments with
the python stuff.

All the best,

Steve.