[Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Feb 10 21:42:17 GMT 2010

Patrick Ohly wrote:
>> So my assumption was wrong, and you cannot sync anything but contacts
>> between Evolution and another PIM data store,

> You can sync contacts, events, tasks and notes between SyncEvolution
> and most SyncML servers. The limiting factor is the server, not
> SyncEvolution.

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

In this case my first impression was correct.

This was exactly what I meant when I wrote "Or does this limitation only
hold in case SyncEvolution is running on the N900 itself, syncing this
device to some other data source, instead of doing it the other way
around?".

>> However, that'd still be ok for me, as if I try to sync Akonado with
>> a Maemo 5 device, and SyncEvolution supports all data types for Maemo
>> and for Akonadi (sometime in the future), I'd be able to sync
>> everything, right?

> Yes.

Mh, now you're confusing me again. ;) If I sync Akonadi with the N900,
does Evolution also need to be the server on the N900?

>From what you said above, and how I first understood how SyncEvolution
works, for syncing an N900 with KDE-PIM it should suffice if
SyncEvolution supports syncing all data types with Akonadi?

Mh, to reduce confusion on my side: To sync KDE-PIM with the N900, do I
need setup 1 or setup 2, because the N900 lacks a usuable SyncML-
implementation?

Setup 1:
  ______________                                ____________________
 |  PC with KDE |                              | |    N900 with   | |
 |     and      | ))) <- Bluetooth Link -> ((( | |     internal   | |
 |SyncEvolution |                              | |  SyncML Server | |
 ----------------                               --------------------
/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\                              |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
------------------                               ------------------

Setup 2:
 |  PC with KDE |                              | |      N900      | |
 |     and      | )))    <- Some Link ->   ((( | |      with      | |
 |SyncEvolution |                              | |  SyncEvolution | |
/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\                              |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

Greetings,

  Gunter