[Kde-pim] Akonadi killed KMail????

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Thu Feb 25 08:21:41 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 04:32:28PM -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
Hej,

> I updated my Fedora 11 system this morning and all of a sudden, I
> can't send or receive email, so I close KMail and restart it, only to
> find that it hangs starting 'akonadiserver'. Now WTF is Akonadi Server
> and why is it not starting properly???
Akonadi Server is the new PIM services that handles all the data transfer,
something like EDS under GNOME.
Why it doesn't work? Please goto userbase.kde.org and follow the steps
under the 'Akonadi Help' section. There exists a selftest dialog that gives
you more information what might be wrong.

> And who's brilliant idea was it to foist this piece of broken software
> onto us in the first place?
The software is not broken, only the configuration I guess, and that's the
fault of your distributor!

> If you're going to replace KMail, then make sure it works, please!!!
We do not replace it, but to bring it to the next level of PIM functionality
we have to do hard work on it...

Ciao,
Tobias

P.S.: are more sensitive tone when writing mails to this mailing list would be welcome...