[Kde-pim] Re: Kontact Touch vs Kontact Mobile

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:34:44 GMT 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010 14:10:38 Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Currently the software is branded as "Kontact Mobile",
> my suggestion of using "Kontact Touch" for the finger usable variant
> seems to be an improvement.

I assume the Mobile/Touch version would be the same one that would be used on
a 10" tablet?  In which case Mobile is not a good option as it implies phones
only with a restricted feature set, Touch is clearer that it's for touch
enabled devices regardless of size, with Desktop generally implying a non-
Touch version.  There's enough other products out there using the Touch naming
scheme that to most people it's meaning is immediately clear.

Also, I don't think the app name in the launcher on a mobile would show
"Kontact Touch" but only "Kontact"?  You're unlikely to have both installed on
a mobile or tablet, so it's really only on a website or in advertising that
you would see Kontact Touch used much, so it would have a lot more context
around it to indicate the meaning.

> There was one serious argument against it by Will that
> "Kontact Touch" might be seen as a strange wordplay by some
> that do not know "Kontact". Also one other person I talked to liked
> "Kontact Mobile" better.

As a "native speaker" the danger seems low to me, the fact it comes across as
a slightly playful pun feels more positive to me (then again, I'm a geek and
gearhead and know what each part implies).  I think touch is a widely enough
used term now to be losing most of the innuendo.  Also the K in Kontact sets
it apart in English as being a name rather than a "real" word to be taken too
literally.

John.