[Kde-pim] Re: Kontact Touch vs Kontact Mobile

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Dec 3 10:59:51 GMT 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010 20:34:44 John Layt wrote:
> On Thursday 02 December 2010 14:10:38 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Currently the software is branded as "Kontact Mobile",
> > my suggestion of using "Kontact Touch" for the finger usable variant
> > seems to be an improvement.
>
> I assume the Mobile/Touch version would be the same one that would be used
> on a 10" tablet?

Well yes, I see the touch interface being used on all touch devices,
like touch netbooks, tablets of all sizes and possible info terminals
or desktop machines with touch screens.

> In which case Mobile is not a good option as it implies
> phones only with a restricted feature set, Touch is clearer that it's for
> touch enabled devices regardless of size, with Desktop generally implying a
> non- Touch version.  There's enough other products out there using the
> Touch naming scheme that to most people it's meaning is immediately clear.
>
> Also, I don't think the app name in the launcher on a mobile would show
> "Kontact Touch" but only "Kontact"?  You're unlikely to have both installed
> on a mobile or tablet, so it's really only on a website or in advertising
> that you would see Kontact Touch used much, so it would have a lot more
> context around it to indicate the meaning.

I think the "Touch" addition would not hurt and it makes the branding
more consistent. More people might discover that there is another
version for mouse control and larger screens. In my view "KDE" and
"Kolab Client" should come in the short text when advertising Kontact
because they are the most important keywords to mentally connect to.

> > There was one serious argument against it by Will that
> > "Kontact Touch" might be seen as a strange wordplay by some
> > that do not know "Kontact". Also one other person I talked to liked
> > "Kontact Mobile" better.
>
> As a "native speaker" the danger seems low to me, the fact it comes across
> as a slightly playful pun feels more positive to me (then again, I'm a geek
> and gearhead and know what each part implies).  I think touch is a widely
> enough used term now to be losing most of the innuendo.  Also the K in
> Kontact sets it apart in English as being a name rather than a "real" word
> to be taken too literally.

Thanks for your input, especially as a native speaker.
I take it down as another count for "Kontact Touch". :)

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998