[Kde-pim] Re: Do we need a Beta3?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Dec 10 17:55:55 GMT 2010

Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> Heyho!
>
> On Friday 10 December 2010 16.15:22 Thomas McGuire wrote:
>>  [...] because nobody really is managing the work.
>
> Perhaps this is the message that should be public?  KDEPIM does sorely
> need a maintainer (team) who will officially take the
> blame^Wresponsibility for
> what's going on and have ideas where it could be going [1].  Obviously
> announcing this (and the status "there is currently no release planned
> until this issue is addressed" as a consequence) is not good for
> publicity, but neither is releasing a very buggy package, nor is
> postponing releases again and again.

Unfortunately having a maintainer or a maintainer team does not help, unless
the maintainers are also active contributors. As Thomas said, what needs to
be done is an active development. The shape of kdepim 4.6.0, and especially
kmail2 (as this is the big issue) is not THAT bad, but would need active
developing. Either development sprints to get it done in shorter time, or a
much longer time than 2 weeks, if it is done at the rate we contribute right
now.
 This is of course my opinion as a KDE contributor, not the opinion of a
kdepim team, nor the opinion of KDAB, which might be or might not be the
same.
 All I know that I will probably send my kdepim time on bugs that annoy me,
in the first case, and other bugs are secondary, although I did some (partly
working) IMAP-Exchange fix this week, while I don't use Exchange. :)

Andras