[Kde-pim] Re: Do we need a Beta3?

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Dec 10 15:15:22 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Friday 10 December 2010 11:54:45 Will Stephenson wrote:
> On 10/12/10 11:27, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Having an extension for the beta time by itself will not help. If nobody
> > fixes bugs, they won't go away. If developers cannot find time to work on
> > kdepim, that's fine, but in this case we should consider of not releasing
> > kdepim together with 4.6.0. I wish we could, but releasing in its current
> > state will do more harm than good, as there are obvious shortcomings both
> > in migration (very important!) and daily usage.

I agree with Andras here as well, having another beta won't gain us much.
I'll stay out of the discussion whether or not to release KDEPIM with KDE 4.6
or not, as I don't know the current state well enough for that.
KDEPIM definitely would benefit from more developers, as otherwise bugs indeed
won't get fixed. Thankfully, there are some developers like Tobias, Laurent
and Andras actually using KMail2 and therefore contributing some bugfixes,
which is great. However, IMHO there needs to be a bigger developer base for
having a healthy project.

> Agreed. And I don't know how it will improve because there is no
> communication from whoever is managing the kmail2 work in KDE PIM or at
> KDAB.

There is no communication because nobody really is managing the work. The
developers doing KMail2 bugfixes right now do it to fix their own problems,
there is no "managing" involved. And KDAB is working on the mobile version, so
don't expect any desktop work coming from there. Of course, the shared bits
like Akonadi benefit from the mobile work a lot.
So since there the work on the desktop version is not much, there is also not
much communication.

> Could someone who is qualified to speak for one of the above give a
> statement on where we stand and where we are going for 4.6 so that my
> imagination doesn't run wild?

Regards,
Thomas