[Kde-pim] Re: Keep computers in sync

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Dec 5 19:41:40 GMT 2010

robert at narnia.homeunix.com wrote:

> I keep my systems in sync using a Kolab server.  That's probably
> overkill if all you need to sync is mail.  I feel like there was a
> discussion about an Akonadi-to-Akonadi resource that would allow you
> to sync one Akonadi installation directly with another (over IMAP?)
> but I wasn't paying much attention to it at the time and don't
> remember the details I'm afraid. Maybe someone else knows what I'm
> thinking about?

Well, both Kolab (which has an imap server inside) and an imap server share
the same problem: you need a machine that is permanently online. I cannot
have it (well, technically I could, but I don't want to run 24/24h a
computer just for this).

> I agree that it would be nice to have an easy way to synchronize two
> separate Akonadi installations.  Perhaps someone could write an
> Akonadi-enabled IMAP server that would use Akonadi as a backend and
> provide mail-fetching, etc., as a front-end..

The solution should be much simpler:
1) fix the maildir resource so its folders can be shared/used by other apps
and if mails appear there, it will realize that and import them (and the
status info) to the akonadi db
2) make it possible to set the server completely to offline mode - or put
the offline to online warning into the "server" code, you get a warning no
matter which application tries to turn them online.
3) 2-3 is already enough as a start, but a way to export/import the metadata
from akonadi would be nice. I'm not sure how this could be implemented
realibly though.

Then it remains the "problem" with the local IMAP cache, which used to be a
maildir folder, but this is less an issue, as IMAP data is on the server
anyway, so the sync can go through the IMAP server. The only annoyance is a
need for an extra IMAP sync after the local sync.

What is your opininion (especially Volker's, and others who worked on
akonadi and the resources), is this feasable?

Andras