[Kde-pim] Re: Keep computers in sync

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Sun Dec 5 09:08:38 GMT 2010

On Sunday, 5 December 2010 02:46:01 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Last night we chatted a little about this on IRC, but I'd like to take
> it to broader attention the issue I faced: I have two computers, a
> desktop and a laptop. I use both IMAP and POP3 mails with delete on the
> server, as
> 1) I don't really know how much space I have on the server
> 2) I used those servers for years (8+ years) and I have thousands and
> gigabytes of email already locally.

I sympathize for I have a similar setup, the same problem and the same current
solution. For years I have kept laptop and computer in sync with either rsync
or unison. I've had some minor problems with KMail but on the whole it just
worked. Eventually I'll have a smart phone, and I'll want to use its email
capabilities, at which point I'm going to have yet another problem.

The only current way of solving these problems is to use IMAP. I have
seriously been thinking of installing local IMAP servers on both laptop and
desktop and do my email from a browser. They could be synced with rsync,
unison or perhaps even offlineimap. I'm also looking at a maildirsync. But if I
do that, I might as well ditch KDEPIM altogether. I don't depend as much on
the other programs of the suite, and besides, they can be used separately.

There are other upsides. But I don't like giving up KMail.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>