[Kde-pim] Re: Keep computers in sync

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Dec 5 21:08:06 GMT 2010

On Sunday 05 December 2010, Andras Mantia wrote:
> robert at narnia.homeunix.com wrote:
> > I agree that it would be nice to have an easy way to synchronize
> > two separate Akonadi installations.  Perhaps someone could write
> > an Akonadi-enabled IMAP server that would use Akonadi as a backend
> > and provide mail-fetching, etc., as a front-end..
>
> The solution should be much simpler:
> 1) fix the maildir resource so its folders can be shared/used by
> other apps and if mails appear there, it will realize that and
> import them (and the status info) to the akonadi db

Yes.

> 2) make it possible to set the server completely to offline mode - or
> put the offline to online warning into the "server" code, you get a
> warning no matter which application tries to turn them online.

Yes. It should be possible to set accounts offline permanently.

> 3) 2-3 is already enough as a start, but a way to export/import the
> metadata from akonadi would be nice. I'm not sure how this could be
> implemented realibly though.

We need full backup/restore of the Akonadi database anyway.

> Then it remains the "problem" with the local IMAP cache, which used
> to be a maildir folder, but this is less an issue, as IMAP data is
> on the server anyway, so the sync can go through the IMAP server.

Yes, that's the way you should use IMAP.

> The only annoyance is a need for an extra IMAP sync after the local
> sync.

Obviously, the best solution for synching local folders would be a
general synchronisation solution which does not only sync email, but
also calendar, contacts, etc.

Regards,
Ingo