[Kde-pim] Re: Google Reader resource for Akonadi

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at kdab.com
Wed Dec 8 22:06:09 GMT 2010

Hi Lukas,

On Dec 5, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Lukas Hetzenecker wrote:

> Hello KDE PIM developers,
>
> at the beginning I wanted to thank you for the amazing work you've
> done for Kontact 4.6 beta2.
> There is only one feature that I really miss: synchronization support
> for Akregator with Google Reader
> I stumbled upon the KRSS framework and it seemed to fit my needs. The
> only problem is that there's no possibility to sync with Google
> Reader, but only with the outdated NewsGator service.
> So I tried to write this resource plugin myself. You can find my first
> attempt attached to this mail (it's not yet ready for reviewboard).
> The kdepim-krss-build.patch is needed to build the KRSS framework, in
> the google-reader-qt folder is a small implementation written in pure
> Qt and in the kdepim folder is the real Akonadi resource.
> Error reporting is still missing, but the basic feed synchronization
> should work.

Cool :) That looks really promising from a first glance. I can't test it currently because I don't have a recent enough build of the whole stack :/. Time to fix that...

> Could anybody have a look at my current implementation? Does anybody
> know what is needed to display the feed categories as subfolders in
> akregator (if you uncomment the code in GooglereaderFeedsRetrieveJob
> it works nicely in akonadiconsole, but not in akregator)?

The original idea to not support hierarchical folders in krss but only a flat category list where each feed can be in multiple categories. E.g., when importing a feed hierarchy like

News/ [folder]
News/BBC [feed]
News/KDE/ [folder]
News/KDE/dot.kde.org [feed]

it's flattened to

News/ [Category]
BBC
dot.kde.org
KDE/ [Category]
dot.kde.org

The feeds are stored as direct subcollections of the resource's root collection, the categories (which are called tags throughout the codebase) are stored as collection attributes.
The feed list model builds the tag folders from those attributes.
Subsubcollections are completely ignored by the model right now, I guess, and thus don't show up in Akregator.

However, shortly before the work on krss stopped, we decided that we would defer all that tag-fu and go for the classical folder hierarchy, and replace the current feed model by an EntityTreeModel.
So that needs to be refactored first before Akregator can handle hierarchical feed folders. So there's lots to be done :) :/

--
Frank Osterfeld | frank.osterfeld at kdab.com | Software Engineer KDAB (Deutschland)
GmbH&Co KG, a KDAB Group company Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ)