[Kde-pim] More sending delay

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Apr 10 16:00:20 BST 2010

On Saturday 10 April 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 09 April 2010 22:47:00 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Friday 09 April 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Sending an encrypted message is a slow job.  There is a long
> > > delay before the pinentry dialog shows - I just timed one at 49
> > > seconds. I suspect that the fix that stopped nepomuk searching
> > > everywhere when sending plain messages isn't applied to messages
> > > that need the recipient identifying for encryption. You opinion?
> >
> > Is this problem new? I never noticed any longer delays in sending
> > encrypted messages. Neither with SC 4.4.0 nor with SC 4.4.1.
>
> To be honest, I can't answer that.  I only routinely use encryption
> with one correspondent, and he has been away from internet access
> for 4 months until about a month ago, so it could have started at
> any time during that period.
>
> I think it's safe to say that it was around at the time when sending
> all messages was extremely slow, but I suspect that the cure for
> that was during the time he was away, so I've got no reference
> frame.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.
>
> I assume that your addressbook is as big as mine,

Hmm. Not sure. I don't have any contact groups. Not sure if that
matters.

> though I know my
> gpg store is bigger than yours as you told me before that you didn't
> automatically import signatures - and at the time the kmail pulled
> them in automatically I did so.  Kgpg says I have 181 keys.  Could
> this be significant?

I don't think so. Apparently, I have 510 keys in my keyring.

# gpg --list-keys | grep ^pub | wc -l
510

To check whether something about the keyring is the problem you could
temporarily replace your keyring with a keyring containing only your key
and the key of your correspondent.

Does the delay only occur if you encrypt the message for this
correspondent? You can use Queue (instead of Send) to check this. Don't
forget to delete the test messages from the outbox.

Regards,
Ingo