[Kde-pim] feature request: Show unread mails on top

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 29 21:46:00 BST 2010

On Thursday 29 April 2010, Roland Tapken wrote:
> > It is possible to add an additionial sort flag that orders _unread_
> > mails always an top (or bottom), ignorting the sort criteriums?
> > What I mean is: All mails should be ordered by the defined
> > criteriums (date and time, for example), but unread mails should
> > *always* appear on the top of the list.
>
> I've tried to hack around a little. The attached patch (for
> kdepim-4.4.2, but I think it should be portable to trunk without any
> problems) modifies messagelist/core/model.cpp to add a new
> "always-on-top"-group containing all new and unread messages.

[snip]

Don't get me wrong, but you seem to be trying to solve a problem which
has long been solved in KMail. As Anne pointed out there is a drop-down
box (aka combo box) next to the quick search input field which allows
you to show all "new", "unread", or otherwise tagged messages.

I don't understand what additional benefit your change would have except
for implementing yet another way to quickly get an overview over the
unread message? IMNSHO you should forget about your patch since it does
not add anything which isn't already there. KMail does already provide
an easy way to get your unread messages listed on top (with nothing
below, but why do you want to see any read messages below if you are
only interested in the unread messages anyway?). In particular, this way
does not result in any jumping, it works with threads and it does the
job. So, why re-invent the wheel? KMail lacks so many much more useful
features.

As former maintainer of KMail I object against adding this (in my
opinion completely unnecessary) feature. If Thomas overrules me, so be
it.

Regards,
Ingo