[Kde-pim] feature request: Show unread mails on top

Roland Tapken ml at lalamuhkuh.de
Thu Apr 29 16:27:57 BST 2010

> It is possible to add an additionial sort flag that orders _unread_ mails
> always an top (or bottom), ignorting the sort criteriums? What I mean is:
> All mails should be ordered by the defined criteriums (date and time, for
> example), but unread mails should *always* appear on the top of the list.

I've tried to hack around a little. The attached patch (for kdepim-4.4.2, but
I think it should be portable to trunk without any problems) modifies
messagelist/core/model.cpp to add a new "always-on-top"-group containing all
new and unread messages.

But (beside a missing configuration flag) I have a few problems and do not
know how to handle them. First of all a message will "jump" as soon as it's
state changes to "unread" - this is very anyoing. Secondly it seems that this
will not work for threaded messages. I assume that the problem is in
ModelPrivate::viewItemJobStepInternalForJobPass2/3.

Maybe another solution for this problem would be some kind of "dynamical
filter" over all imap folders? For example a view defining a list of folders
and the message flag "unread" to be true, and if this view is selected the
matching mails will be shown. I think Opera's M2 has something like this, or
am I wrong?

Best regards,

Roland