[Kde-pim] SoC Updates -- Kontact and Skrooge Plasma Dashboards

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 23 17:48:30 BST 2010

On April 22, 2010, Ryan Rix wrote:
> * I'm currently reimplementing the WidgetBrowser in

sounds good.

> * Siddharth is currently working on eliminating our other dependencies,
> namely the config dialogs.

you shouldn't need to configure much, if anything, i'd think?

what other deps are you facing?

> After that, we get to a really interesting situation: containments.
> Currently all the contianments are in kdebase-workspace, where they
> /probably/ should be. Of course, that means that we currently cannot
> depend on any of them being there, including the one that I was most
> likely to use in my SoC project, the newspaper.

i think the answer is pretty clear: the KPart needs to be somewhere both sets
of apps an rely on it being. that's where this containment should also live.

if it is indeed to be the newspaper containment, then it goes there too.

katepart is completely and wholely available in kdelibs, and that's one
example we could follow. however, i'd personally like to see this kpart end up
in kdebase-workspace since it is a runtime dependency rather than a build time
one. (everything is loaded dynamically via the plugin architecture.)

so, first, make ++sure that the newspaper containment is what you need.
consult with Marco to ensure that any changes that might be needed will not
interfere with its use in plasma-netbook.

if that results in the newspaper containment being "The One", then we'll move
that containment to kdebase/runtime/plasma/containments/. we already have
plasmapkg and the javascript Plasma::ScriptEngine in kdebase/runtime/plasma
for the same reasons.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se