[Kde-pim] Git migration status

Torgny Nyblom kde at nyblom.org
Wed Apr 21 05:57:51 BST 2010

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 00.07.51 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 20 April 2010 17:26:11 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > On Sunday 18 April 2010 11.56.48 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Sorry for not giving this url to the public but I don't think my uplink
> > > can stand the possible load.
> >
> > Ok, now there is an url http://gitorious.org/kdepim/ :)
>
> Nice, thanks.
>
> > I've added the branches I found and uploaded the three repos to gitorious
> > so that people can get a copy and verify/report issues.
> >
> > Please clone locally and see if you find anything missing, if so post
> > back here so we have a record of what is found.
>
> Ok, I gave it a go. I did not yet look for lost history.
> First of all, cloning the kdepim repo was over 2 GB, that is really too
> much.

Could be that I forgot to run git repack -a- -f -d before pushing.

> When browsing the repo with gitk --all, I noticed that the 1.1
> branch basically included everything of KDE, not only the parts that are
> relevant for today's PIM. For example, it includes translations, kdebase,
> kdegames and lots of other stuff. I guess we can save quite a bit by
> removing this. Probably this is also the case in other branches.

Ok, sounds like a cvs2svn generated tag/branch. Will try and fix.

> The starting commit of the branches of the kdepim-runtime and of the kdepim
> repo have no parent commits. I remember we had the same issue with
> kdepimlibs once.

Hmm, I think I did the same fix for all three repos...

> I used the script at http://bacn.me/1db6 to look for big files in the repo,
> but there weren't really any interesting. However, we might want to remove
> the following from the kdepim-runtime and the kdepim repo:
>         13382015 akonadi/server/tests/enron_email_dataset/enron_contacts.vcf
>         1686005 akonadi/server/tests/enron_email_dataset/enron_contacts.txt
>         4079946 kresources/groupwise/soap/soapC.cpp
>         (best to remove all of this resource, I guess)

If it isn't used this will fix a chunk of warnings as well :)

> Additionally, we can remove the following branches, since they have been
> fully merged back:
[...]
> Removing those branches should not affect the master branch in any way,
> right?

Removing after generation will probably work ok, but not including them in the
generation will cut history of master when these are merged.

> I'm curious what the size is after removing the branches and fixing the
> inclusion of all of KDE in the earlier branches.
>
> Locally, I tried deleting _all_ branches and tags, but the size is still
> around 650MB. I think cutting of the history to a certain date for the
> official KDE repository would be ok, as long as we also provide a "full"
> repo for those interested in the history. Main development should IMHO
> happen in the light repository.
>
> I noticed some tags with the revision number appended, like 4.4.1_1096481.
> Any idea where those come from?

Commits in tags, Allowed in svn but not in Git.

/Regards
Torgny