[Kde-pim] More sending delay

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Apr 13 04:44:19 BST 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 00:47:53 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> On Monday 12 of April 2010 19:19:14 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Friday 09 April 2010 18:02:39 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Sending an encrypted message is a slow job.  There is a long delay
> > > before the pinentry dialog shows - I just timed one at 49 seconds.  I
> > > suspect that the fix that stopped nepomuk searching everywhere when
> > > sending plain messages isn't applied to messages that need the
> > > recipient identifying for encryption. You opinion?
> >
> > Could be the ItemSearchJobs which are exectured during keyresolving, like
> > the other Nepomuk-related hangs, see bug 219687.
> > Looks ok from the code though, so I have no idea.
>
> Now, this may not be related to issue you're discussing, but some time ago
> I told Thomas about some temporary delays/lockdown in socket select
> function when attempting to read some emails using IMAP (gmail).
> Reproducible in this sense that killing kmail and trying to read the same
> email again happened to cause the same lockdown again (until it unlocked
> after some time).
>
> Anyway, it happens only for some signed messages and only sporadically,
> backtrace shows that gpgme (or its C++ bridge) is guilty:
>
> [backtrace}
>
> This is 4.4 branch, gpgme-1.2.0, do you think it's related to sending
> delays?

This is not related to Akonadi/Nepomuk for once. The hang here happens when
verifying a signature. I don't know the reason. KMail 2 will have the async
reader mode enabled, which fixes the problem, since the signature verification
there does not block. In KMail 1, async reader mode is disabled, since we
don't depend on a newer libgpgme version (an older gpgme version had a bug
that caused the async mode to crash, so we had to disable it)

Regards,
Thomas