[Kde-pim] feature request: Show unread mails on top

Roland Tapken ml at lalamuhkuh.de
Thu Apr 29 17:40:36 BST 2010

Thomas,

> What you do is to create a new group for new/unread mails. That will only
> work if mails are grouped by date, and not work for other groupings,
> especially when grouping is disabled.
> IMHO mixing a state (new/unread) grouping with date grouping is strange.

But that's exactly what I would prefer. Keep the grouping (which is a really
great feature!) but also seeing all unread messages in a folder at first
glance :-).

> Instead, I think it should be possible to _sort_ by new/unread state, i.e.
> creating a new sort order that first sorts by new/unread state and then
> sorts by date.
> Actually, looking at sortorder.h, I see SortMessagesByNewUnreadStatus,
> which does exactly this. Is it not what you want? That sort option is also
> in the GUI.

I've saw that function but I don't want to miss the date grouping.

> You can create virtual search folders in KMail, and add a search folder for
> all unread mails. In KMail 1, that will be horribly slow, but it should be
> more practical in KMail 2.

Just tried this. First it looked good, but in fact it is unusable for this.
When you opened the first unread mail it disappears from the result set
(because it's marked as read now). The cursor jumps to the next unread
message, and it disappears from the result set. Within one seconds a few tens
of unread messages became marked as read :-/

Regards,

Roland