[Kde-pim] KMail Migration

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Apr 20 12:29:01 BST 2010

Hi,

On Monday 19 April 2010 11:17:38 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 18 April 2010 22:21:39 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > What about the cached headers of an online IMAP account? What will
> > > happen to them?
> >
> > They are re-downloaded from the IMAP server.
>
> Do you foresee any problems for those people with enormous mailboxes?  I've
> seen one user, for instance, who reports 30,000+ messages in one folder.

If the users use disconnected IMAP and we don't have a migration path for the
cache, that means re-downloading each message.
For online IMAP, it only means re-downloading the headers, which should be
acceptable.

> Migrating mail is likely to be a traumatic event for many people,
> especially if they use it for business purposes.  As it gets closer to RC
> status, could you ping me on irc so that I understand any issues, and also
> to discuss how we can make sure that the various distro people know what
> to expect from their users?  While I appreciate that there are always
> unknowns until it actually happens, I'd like to forestall problems as much
> as possible :-)  Serial complainers are bad enough, but I'm concerned to
> help the genuine problem- experiences as much as possible.

Ok, I'll talk to you on IRC once things have settled down with KMail 2 a bit.

Regards,
Thomas