[Kde-pim] Mailreader status and RFC

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Fri Sep 11 10:50:10 BST 2009

Hi,

On Friday 11 September 2009 08:45:01 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Also, some stuff of the mailreader has to be used by other libs/apps,
> > like the objecttreeparser, which is needed in various places in KMail,
> > and the stringutils functions.
>
> Stringutils should be no problem to share (once we decide where to put
> them). But the objecttreeparser needs to be decoupled from the private
> MailViewer class (previously it depended on KMReaderWin). It is probably
> possible, I just didn't know it is needed. I will work on it.

I don't know a good place for stringutils either, some of those could probably
be added to KMime.
[Explained on IRC that the objecttreeparser is also used for
replies/forwarding/editing of messages]

> > I think the namespace should be the same as the name of the lib, e.g.
> > MailViewer.
>
> Ok, so we have MailViewer namespace. Just please suggest a name for the
>  main class (the viewer widget) as it is now called MailViewer. :)

I'm not good with names :)

> > For krichtextwidget in kdelibs, the user passes an actioncollection, and
> > krichtextwidget simply creates and adds the actions to there.
> > krichtextwidget has means to control which actions are created.
>
> The reason I don't like creating actions inside the lib is that you have to
> expose them to the outside (as some users might not like the default
> icon/shortcut/behavior of them). And as soon as you do, you loose control
>  on the KAction pointers.

The advantage of creating the actions inside is that you can track and change
the state of them. In KRichTextWidget, we do that for the "make text bold"
action, for example. We track the cursor position and make it active/inactive
depending on whether the cursor is over a bold word.
Not sure how applicable that is here.

Regards,
Thomas