[Kde-pim] Plugin Question re Kontact Headers

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 00:10:38 BST 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 07:38:30 am Dr. Robert Marmorstein wrote:

> I happen to agree with you (and Tom) that it would be best (and more in the
> spirit of open source) to provide a public interface for kontact plugins.

Yah. However it appears the main Kontact developers just don't want to pursue
that, doesn't fit with their vision of Kontact. Fair enough, that's their
privilege and I don't want to waste their and my time pursing it. I appreciate
their making it clear at least.

> However, in your case I'm wondering if some of what you want to do might
> actually be easier to implement as an Akonadi resource.  I haven't used
>  Myth TV at all, but it would seem to me that Korganizer might actually be
>  a pretty decent interface for manipulating MythTV events.

A very interesting thought and quite tempting. I can see it be useful for
viewing MythTV "events" - not so useful for scheduling them though, MythTV
schedules are very sophisticated, way beyond "record Program X at Time Y". The
Organiser interface isn't up to that.

>  You might need to extend the functionality
>  of KOrganizer a little bit to do automatic conflict detection and so
>  forth, but I see no reason why this couldn't be done.

No need, MythTV does the conflict resolution/reporting. One could just list
them as an alarm.

> Maybe I'm way off in left field, but I would REALLY love to see something
>  like this.

I am motivated :)

However there are a number of other things that don't fit the calendar
interface - disk usage, cpu usage etc. They could fit in a Summary plugin
though.

--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home