[Kde-pim] Reply to Author != Reply to Author ?

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 21:22:40 BST 2009

Hi Martin,

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 21:35:31 you wrote:
> When I use kmail -> Reply To Author, currently there is some Reply-To
>  handling in the code (kmmessage.cpp).
> I ask myself: why is this done ?
> When I explicitely select to reply to the author, then wouldn't it be
>  enough to use the "from" address for the reply ?
>
> With the current implementation, I have the following problem:
>
> I make a comment on bugs.kde.org.
> Someone replies to that comment on bko, I receive a mail which has a
>  Reply-To header "Reply-To: bug-control at bugs.kde.org" and a From header of
>  the comment writer.
>
> I want to send the author of that comment another comment in private mail,
>  so I select "Reply To Author", but: kmail still wants to send to
> bug-control at bugs.kde.org

The exact handling of how to do replies is a controversial topic. If you
change anything there, people will complain.

I don't know the reason for the original reply handling, which was committed
by Ingo, as far as I can see. Ingo, can you explain why this was done the way
it is?

If no ones comes up with a valid reason why reply to author should use the
reply-to address, then I guess we can change it.
I couldn't find a reason for the current behavior right now.

BTW, the function we are talking about is KMMessage::createReply().

Regards,
Thomas