[Kde-pim] Synchronization support for Akonadi

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Oct 23 11:45:26 BST 2009

On Friday, 2009-10-23, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 18:59 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > Anyway. This got me thinking. Would it help if we also had some kind of
> > global revisions, e.g. like SVN does?
> > So "modified" would translate into "any item with a revision later than
> > what I've last seen".
>
> That leads back to the problem above. Suppose revision A is the state at
> the start of the sync. Now the sync adds an item on behalf of the peer
> and the user adds another item while the sync runs, leading to revision
> B at the end of the sync. "Any item with a revision later than A" would
> include the item created by the sync, which is wrong for the next sync.

Yes, true.
But assume the sync app would be using this global revision as a method of
"checkout" then modify the checkout and "commit".

The "commit" transaction would fail if there is a secondary modification to
any item in the change set. What we currently lack (AFAIK) is a way to
determine which item had the conflict.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring