[Kde-pim] Problems with Autostart and Unique Akonadi Resource Capabilities

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:09:16 BST 2009

Hello everyone,

I've been having problems with my resource because I had both set in
X-Akonadi-Capabilities config option Autostart and Unique. When
starting my resource, I was getting this in the debug output:

* OK Akonadi Almost IMAP Server [PROTOCOL 23]
0 LOGIN "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource"
0 OK User logged in
1 RESSELECT "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource" 2 BEGIN
1 NO akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource is not a valid resource identifier.

Instead of:

0 LOGIN "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource"
0 OK User logged in
1 RESSELECT "akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource" 2 BEGIN
1 OK akonadi_konquerorbookmarks_resource selected

To come down to the conclusion that it was Unique and Autostart
Capabilities being at the same time set was particularly difficult for
me to notice, I finally tried the bruteforce option of starting a new
resource and modify it one step at a time so that it ended up being my
original resource so that I could notice which step was the culprit,
doing reinstall, restarting the server, removing and adding again the
resource. I know that there must be better ways to debug akonadi
server related problems, but you know sometimes I try the hard way
just because.

Then finally when I knew that it was the Capabilities problem, I
looked again at kdesupport/akonadi code and saw that Autostart
automatically sets Unique so I don't really need to set Unique myself
and that fixed the code for me. But why would akonadi server silently
fail if I set Unique and Autostart manually that I don't know. If we
want to warn the user about Unique not being needed, that's probably
not the best option, so I guess we are talking about a bug here.
Someone can help me find what's really the problem in akonadi server
in this case to be able to fix it?

Regards,
    Eduardo Robles Elvira.